We're here to help you get the most of your journey by train. So if you need help with your baggage or somewhere to store it while you explore your stops, Amtrak offers baggage assistance and temporary bag storage at many stations.
Free Red Cap Baggage Handling Service
In addition to self-service handcarts in a number of Amtrak stations, you can count on uniformed Red Caps to provide free baggage-handling assistance at many major stations. We recommend that you accept assistance from only uniformed Red Cap agents. All baggage handled by Red Cap is protected by a claim check.
Free Red Cap assistance service is offered at these major stations:
- Baltimore, MD
- Boston, MA (South Station)
- Chicago, IL
- Los Angeles, CA
- New Haven, CT
- New York, NY
- Newark, NJ
- Philadelphia, PA
- Portland, OR
- Seattle, WA
- Washington, DC
- Wilmington, DE
Temporary Bag Storage
- Customers holding tickets for travel may store their items in Parcel Check service when available for $5.00 per item per 24 hours.
- At New York Penn Station, Washington Union Station, Chicago Union Station, Philadelphia 30th Street Station and Seattle King Street Station, the fee is $10.00 per item per 24 hours.
Boxes for Checked Baggage Items
Boxes and bags are available for purchase at select stations to help transport some of the items you wish to take with you checked baggage. The number of boxes is limited, so boxes may not always be available. For further assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL.
- Bicycle Boxes: $15.00 per box
- Ski Bags: $3.00 per bag
- Shipping Boxes: $5.00 per box