Nobody likes to be left behind...
We happily welcome dogs and cats up to 20 pounds for trips of up to seven hours on most routes (some restrictions apply*). Our check-in process is simple, making traveling with your four-legged friend easy and enjoyable. Make a reservation here at Amtrak.com, call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit a staffed Amtrak station.
*Acela Express on weekends and holidays only; travel with pets in Canada not available on Adirondack, Maple Leaf and Amtrak Cascades; not available on Auto Train, Keystone Service, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor Pacific Surfliner or Thruway Connecting Services.
- Go to Amtrak.com, call a reservation agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit a staffed station to make a reservation.
- Pet reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis, and may sell out quickly. There's a maximum of five pets per train (service animals do not count towards this limit), so we encourage you to make your pet reservations in advance.
- Reservations are limited to one pet per customer.
- Pets are permitted in Coach Class (sorry, pets are not allowed in Sleeping cars, Business Class or other accommodations).
- Our pet fare is a great deal at $25.00 for each travel segment.
- Reservations with pets are limited to seven hours total, including transfer time between trains on multiple-segment trips.
- Pets unfortunately cannot be booked with multi-ride tickets, Thruway Connection Services or with unaccompanied minors.
- Our pet fare is a great deal at $25.00 (or 800 Amtrak Guest Rewards points) for each travel segment.
- In the event of a service disruption, Amtrak will make reasonable efforts to seek (but cannot guarantee) pet-friendly hotel accommodations, if sheltering is necessary.
Approved Pet Carriers
- Pet owners must provide a pet carrier. The maximum size for pet carriers is 19" long x 14" wide x 10.5" high. Maximum weight of pet with carrier is 20 pounds. The carrier may be hard or soft sided but must be leak proof and well ventilated.
- For your pet's comfort and safety, it must be able to sit and lie down without touching the sides of the carrier.
- Your pet carrier counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
Onboard and Station Guidelines
- Pets must remain inside their carrier while in stations and onboard trains. Please keep your pet with you at all times.
- Onboard, place your pet carrier under your seat (not under the seat in front of you), except on Amtrak Cascades trains where you can put your pet carrier on the floor in front of the seat next to you.
- Pets are welcome in Coach Class, but please remember they may not travel in other accommodations or food service cars.
- Some routes designate a specific Coach car for pets: Amtrak Cascades, Carl Sandburg, Illinois Zephyr, Illini, Saluki, Pere Marquette, Wolverine, Blue Water, Hiawatha and Missouri River Runner. On other pet friendly routes, you and your pet may ride in any Coach car.
Pet Check-In and Paperwork
- To confirm pet eligibility, we need to have you read and sign a Pet Release and Indemnification Agreement for each leg of travel.
- At staffed stations, please check in at the ticket office no later than 30 minutes before departure to take care of the confirmation.
- At unstaffed stations, the conductor will confirm pet eligibility and provide you with the document to sign. Before your trip, find your station and check to see if it is staffed.
Pet Age and Health
- Your pet must be at least eight weeks old and be odorless, harmless, not disruptive and require no attention during travel.
- Amtrak maintains the right to refuse acceptance, and may remove any pet exhibiting these issues from stations or trains.
- You certify that your pet is up to date on all vaccinations and accept liability for your pet by signing the check-in document. Amtrak does not accept liability for the health and well-being of pets.
We do not ship pets or allow them to travel as checked baggage — a pet must travel with a human. Service animals are not considered pets, and are most certainly welcome on all Amtrak services. Visit our Service Animals page for details.