Amtrak allows passengers who use oxygen equipment (e.g., bottled oxygen, oxygen concentrators) to bring the equipment onboard Amtrak trains with certain restrictions. Oxygen equipment transport is allowed on trains only for passengers with a disability.
Because it is not possible to make reservations that include oxygen equipment on Amtrak.com, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to let us know of your need to bring oxygen equipment and to make your reservations in advance. For TTY service, call 1-800-523-6590. Agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Portable oxygen equipment must meet the following specifications:
- Power Source: Oxygen equipment, including oxygen concentrators, must be able to operate a minimum of four hours without available onboard electrical power (in the event of a power disruption onboard).
- UL or FM Listed: Oxygen equipment must be Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM) listed.
- Weight Limits: The total weight of all tanks may not exceed 120 lbs (54 kg). Within this limit, we allow:
- No more than 2 tanks, 50 lbs (22.7 kg) each, or
- No more than 6 tanks, 20 lbs (9 kg) each.