Amtrak will monitor seating of passengers to ensure compliance with the following policies:
- Each passenger paying a fare will be entitled to a seat, to the extent coach seats are available.
- Passengers are entitled to one seat per fare, to ensure other paying passengers are not excluded.
- Unless specific seats are assigned, seating is on a first come - first served basis. On unreserved trains there are no guaranteed seats.
- Seating arrangements will be made without regard to race, color, gender, creed or national origin.
- Amtrak reserves the right, whenever operating conditions require, to transfer passengers from one car or train to another en route.
Looking for details about the types of seats on Amtrak trains? Here's more information about seating accommodations.